The Beginning
  The Hospital
  Back Home
  One Year later
  The present situation
  Photo Album

First visit AMC and screening

Tuesday, 7 January 2003.

We had the first appointment with Dr. Bresser the lung specialist. Again I told my story. He told me that an operation was only possible when the blood clots were in the big vascular system. An examination of this system is necessary. Such an operation is very difficult and risky. The percentage of dying is 10-15%. In the past six months twelve operations were performed successfully. The operation will last a whole day. A heart-lung machine takes over the functions of these organs. This machine is also cooling the blood until the body temperature is reduced to 20 degrees Celsius. The final operation will last not much longer than one hour. In that time the blood circulation is stopped to remove the scar tissue. At the end, very slow, the body temperature will become normal. Due to the heaviness of this operation a heavy screening is necessary.
After the operation the blood pressure in the heart as well as the size of the heart must become (almost) normal. The oxygen support will finish after several weeks.

Wednesday, 22 January 2003

I am a little bit scared of the first examination, the Angiogram. Through my groin contrast fluid was injected to see the blockades in my lungs.

Thursday, 23 January 2003.

An X-ray of the lungs was taken and also an ECG and after lunch a scan with nuclear liquid and an echo of the heart. On the end of the day Dr. Bresser and Dr. Kloek the surgeon gave us the results of the examinations. We had a chance of success of 90%.The surgery date was also set. February the 17th.
They gave us a syllabus with information about the operation.

Wednesday, 5 February 2003.

I started with lung functions. At 4 o’ clock in the afternoon, I was catheterized. The coronary arteries were clean.

Thursday, 6 February 2003.

Again lung functions. I had to come back for the last part on February 13th 2003.

Text "First visit AMC and screening."